13.9.10

Monday 6th September – Sydney Tower

Today I again woke to the sound of the wind crashing against windows. Fortunately, by the time I was ready and leaving the B and B, the wind had ceased and in its wake removed all the clouds from the sky, leaving a beautiful, hot spring morning. Perfect as today I wanted to see the Sydney sights from a different perspective, from the top of Sydney Tower.

I made my way down the seafront stairs once more and across the golden sands of Manly Beach, heading towards Manly Wharf where the morning ferry would depart from. Around me, the streets were already buzzing, filled with joggers, dog walkers and business people on their way to work; what a morning commute indeed, travelling across sandy shores and getting a ferry to the City each day.

The ferry journey to the city was as perfect as yesterday, with smooth water and a clear sky creating the perfect, picturesque setting. Before long I was standing in Circular Quay and looking at a map to guide me to the Sydney Tower. A further brief walk through the main part of the city and I was there, at the foot of the Tower, ready and waiting to travel to the top of the highest building in the city.

As I stepped out of the lift, having reached the top of the tower, my breath literally caught in my throat as I was struck by the immense size and beauty of the city that surrounded me. The tower provides a spectacular 360 deg view of Sydney through curved glass windows that allow you to marvel at the views for miles into the distance, across the city and onto such wonders as the Blue Mountains, Watsons Bay and Manly too. The views were spectacular.




I spent much of my day here; sitting in the window bays and watching the world go by below me as busy little ants and toy cars made their way about the city and tiny ferries travelled out into the distant waters in pursuit of their own adventures.




After some time had passed I made my way back down the life and into a large room at the base of the Tower. Here I strapped myself into a seat and waited to experience ‘Oz Trek’, a virtual ride that takes you on a journey across Australia and through its history. This was a fun and interesting experience and well worth a try.

Leaving the Tower entrance I made my way back through the streets of the city and returned to Circular Quay. Here I caught a ferry to Luna Park, an amusement park situated on the opposite shore at the base of the Harbour Bridge. This park has been part of Sydney’s culture since the early 1930s with little modernisation made to its original art work and style and I wanted to experience its enchanting atmosphere for myself. Unfortunately, as I arrived it was already near closing time, the park not opening during late, evening hours during the week until later into the summer season. However, I was still able to explore the park and observe people enjoying its fun and games, although I couldn’t try any of the rides for myself. I can’t say I was overly disappointed as most of the rides terrified me as I watched them twist and spin the riders upside down along the water front. I did enjoy the atmosphere and vibrancy of this place very much though and, it was clear, so did all the joyful children and families around me.




The evening was beginning to set it and with it the usual sudden temperature drop, so I made my way back to the Wharf to wait for the ferry back to Circular Quay. On my way I stopped as two, impressively large cruise ships passed each other under the bridge, sounding their horns in hello as they passed.

Arriving back in the city, I made my way not back to the train station, but instead back through the streets I had passed earlier in the day and on to Hyde Park. Here I took my time, exploring the dark pathways, illuminated trees and majestic fountains. The, now dark, sky was dotted with flying foxes (giant bats) performing their evening migration and I stopped to watch these beautiful animals as they soared through the night. I was fortunate enough to have one land just above me and I watched as it twitched and moved, settling itself on a branch just meters above my head.

As I was already in the City, I stopped for dinner here before returned to Tower to see the City by night (again I had a pass which meant I could return to this venue an unlimited amount of times – very handy!) The view was as spectacular as the day, with the city lights illuminating and enhancing an already magnificent view.

The night was now late and it was time for me to return to Manly. So, walking back through the city, I made my way to Circular Quay and onto the Manly Ferry, settling myself for the smooth ride across the dark water. As I arrived on Manly’s shores, night had well and truly set and I enjoyed walking along the shore, the night sky illuminated by the City lights of Manly, the ocean reflecting its glow, before returning to the B and B for a good night’s rest.