13.9.10

Wednesday 1st September – Taronga Zoo

Having heard many stories of how wonderful it was and how well it engaged children with animals in a fun and informative way, today I planned to visit Taronga Zoo in Sydney.

After a quick breakfast I made my way into the City via train from the suburb I was staying in with friends. As I climbed up from the station onto the main street, I caught myself being amazed once again by the great stature of all the buildings around me. Sydney is huge! To travel to the zoo I needed to catch a ferry from Circular Quay and so began my journey, walking downhill towards the harbour, my head still darting around as I tried to take it all in.

The necessary Wharf was easy to find and I was soon waiting with a group of other travellers and families, for the imminent arrival of the ferry to the zoo. Boarding the ferry, I was already excited, the shrill screeches of inpatient children adding to the notion that it was going to be a fun and informative day. The views of the skyline, the Harbour Bridge and of course the Sydney Opera House are incredible as you pull away from the harbour and I sat back and took it all in as the ferry made its way across the water.

When you arrive at the Zoo you are greeted with several entry options; walking, bus or cable car (sky safari). I of course chose sky safari, now being a long time past the height phobic I was when I arrived in Australia, what seems, months ago. The views from up there were amazing as you sail over the elephants and lions and look back to see yourself rising over the bridge. Fantastic.

Arriving at the top of the zoo, the, first thing to strike me was the planning involved. Animals are located by country and habitat with paths leading you into the bush, on safari and down into the ocean. There are ‘fact boards’ everywhere informing people about the animals, their habits and their nature. There are guides on recycling and caring for the environment too. And, as with CERES the place was filled to the brim with visiting schools and nursery groups taking everything in as they ran around excitedly.





I spent my whole day exploring this fascinating world; taking in the information, the animals and creatures, the insects and snakes and even the fish and the penguins, until I reached the most magical and peaceful place imaginable. A place I could have stood for hours. A place that would have converted the most anti-natured mindset imaginable into the mindset of an inquisitive five year old. I had discovered the leopard seal. Set deep under the rest of the zoo, placed in a large tank lit to the brightest blue, you will find two of these beautiful creatures, swimming and singing loudly to each other as they play. The male swam right along the side of the glass, tilting his head back and letting out a loud, vibrating hum. Here you find yourself mesmerised, staring at these creatures and taking in their graceful elegance, in spite of their prehistoric demeanour. I, like so many other visitors to the zoo today, and possible every other day, stood in amazement as this creature sang the most incredibly peaceful and relaxing song. Suddenly everything seemed to have a different perspective.

Tearing myself away from this tank at around 5pm, as the zoo was closing, I made my way down the rest of the hill and to the waiting ferry. The journey back to the Quay was even more beautiful than the one this morning, as the lights of the night skyline were beginning to illuminate, as were the Opera House and Luna Park.

Arriving back on the shores of the City, it was time to head back to the train station to return to my friends for the night. As the train pulled into the suburb, night had set in completely and the streets were lit only by the dim glow of the streetlights and passing cars, a balmy heat from the day still hanging as I walked to their house in just shorts and a t-shirt.

When I arrived they were sitting, resting in the lounge were I joined them to catch up on the day’s adventures. Before long it was time for bed to sleep before another day of adventures tomorrow.