Reaching Marysville it was time to say goodbye to Kate and the group as they would be making their way back to Melbourne, whist I would be travelling on the bus with Phil back to Rubicon to sort out the equipment. After a further 30minutes drive, we arrived at the centre and quickly offloaded the bus and hung all the equipment in the drying room where it would be able to dry over the weekend ready for Monday morning and new groups of students.
After the equipment was sorted I had a quick shower at the camp, followed by a continued conversation with Phil about outdoor activities and their potential in connecting children with nature and the environment, before it was time to say goodbye and leave the centre.
Tonight I would again be spending the night at Dean’s and was having dinner with him, his wife and Steve, the principle of Bogong Outdoor Education Centre, and so, it being only lunchtime, and under the advise of Dean and Phil, I went to explore Snobs Creek Falls and Eildon Dam, both of which were spectacular.
Snobs Creek Falls has to be the biggest fall I have ever seen and, water, especially waterfalls, being one of my favourite features of nature, I found it breathtaking. The Dam too was very impressive, especially considering I had been told by Dean that his wife had run its length in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, and I had seen her beautiful Olympic torch, in pride of place in their living room, to prove it!
I returned to Dean and Jill’s at around 5pm and spent some time talking with Dean about the snow camping experience before Steve from Bogong arrived for dinner. Tonight Jill had cooked lamb curry, which was followed by some more of her delicious ice-cream and a platter of fruit, in addition to mars bar slice and peanut butter fudge – all homemade and fantastic! This was all eaten whilst the group of us discussed outdoor education, curriculum structures and a concept Steve is currently working on for a new environmental outdoor education centre in addition to his recently completed masters project which was also engaged with outdoor education.
After a long day, early start and a mound of information for my brain to digest we said our goodnights and went to bed tired and in need of rest.
