23.8.10

Sunday 22nd August – Booking Flights to Melbourne

Today I managed to sleep in slightly longer than I have become accustomed to since arriving in Australia, waking at around 10.30am. The plan for the day was to complete some basic practical tasks such as confirming my plans for next week, booking flights to Melbourne and doing some laundary.

With the hotel wifi being out of sync with my laptop, I took off on a short walk to find alternative intenet access so that I could contact the next two centres I would be visiting. Little did I know, this 'short' walk ended up being 12km!

On the internet I was able to contact Denise and Dean from the next two centres, confirm visiting dates and times and most importantly get some driving directions. Originally I had planned to drive to Melbourne from Sydney, but, as this would take at least 13hours, I instead, under much advise, decided to book a flight. Being that it was Sunday, however, this proved much more difficult than originally planned, with many of the airlines being uncontactable. Fortunately, walking back to the hotel I noticed a 'Flight Centre'. It was closed but reopened tomorrow at 9am so I decided I would make my way back there first thing to book some flights for the same day to Melbourne.

After a day of emails and phonecalls, I arrived back at the hotel at around 4pm and quickly got to work doing my laundry using the hotel's washing and drying machines whilst taking the opportunity to do some reading.

Feeling slightly more adventurous (and hungry) than usual in the evening, I decided to get the bus into the city for some dinner in one of the cafes that were open late. Here I found a beautiful little place, where I enjoyed delicious spagetti bolonaise and vegetables. Perfect after a 12km walk and a busy, work filled day.

As I arrived back at the hotel, it was already late and I knew I would have an early start tomorrow with packing and making my way to book flights. I lay down tired and sleep, as usual, came quickly.